Monday, February 4, 2013

DIY - Making your own Canvas

Ok, so this year for Christmas I wanted to give my mom a canvas of Zac. I debated and debated on whether I should buy one or make one. I had seen tons of pinterest posts on making one and it seemed so easy. Lies...all lies. Alright, I'm being dramatic but seriously...lies. The canvas on the right is crap and my sweet mother was so sweet about the gift and said that she would hang that on her wall. That right there shows the unconditional love that a mother has for her child because I would never hang that on my wall. hahaha so after two attempts here is how to create your own canvas and I'm telling the truth!!! 
 1. Purchase blank canvases. I would get yours at Hobby Lobby, they carry twin packs for around $6. I did an 11X14. 

2. Choose the picture that you want transposed onto the canvas. You will need a laser copy of the picture. Do not use photo paper. They are less than $1 at your local office store. FYI - Costco does not carry a laser printer and so don't go there for your copy. Also, your picture will be in reverse and so if that makes a difference, get your copy backwards.

3. You will need a paint brush and this Liquitex Matte Gel in medium. You can probably use other types of gel medium but this is what I used and it worked great! The Liquitex is around $24 at Hobby Lobby but I would use a 40% coupon and it makes it a great deal :). 
4. With the paint brush, paint the entire canvas with the gel medium

5. Add the photo, ink down, to the gel medium 

6. Let the medium completely dry

7. This is the fun part! Get a spray bottle and spray the paper in small sections and then use your fingers to gently rub the paper until it is removed off of the canvas. The photo/ink will remain. This is where I went wrong on the pic on the right. I thought that I had gotten all of the paper removed and hadn't. This step actually took me weeks to do when it worked out. I did a little every day because my fingers would rub raw. Exciting!! Also, if you do it over a few days/weeks then, when it dries, you will be able to see if the paper was removed entirely. 

8. Once all of the paper is removed, then apply the gel medium over the top and you are done. 

I absolutely love how the canvas, on the left, turned out!! It is antiqued. Some of the photo/ink comes off with the paper but it gives it character and I LOVE it!! It sounds easy enough but be patient and give yourself plenty of time to do step 7. 

Good luck!! If you have questions, ask away!

1 comment: